Thursday, November 15, 2007

Milk maven



News flash: Hope has taken to the nipple.

Mo eagerly reported Wednesday that our miniature milk maniac has figured out that good stuff comes from Mom's breasts. A week ago, Mo had all but given up on the idea. The mechanics seemed off. Hope didn't seem keen on the prospect. Her mouth was too small and appetite too big.

A skeptic, Mo heard all the talk of the miraculous bonding experience between mother and child. She shrugged most of it off, content instead to harness oddly industrial apparatuses to herself and transfer the milk to bottles. But she's become a convert: "I was like 'Wow! I'm giving nutrition to my child. That's pretty neat."

Like a lot of other newborns, Hope's a chugger. She's a bit like her Dad was in college: Drink, drink, drink, forget to breathe, then pass out. But Hope's flow seemed natural with her mother. She paced herself. She took breaths. She had to work a bit harder, but seemed more sated.

So that's good stuff. We're pleased and proud that Hope is able to try new things, struggle a bit and eventually figure them out.

That's a good omen because soon the real work begins. Hope is tentatively set to come home Friday. Mo has visualized and prayed for the moment for months. We were up until midnight vaccuuming, dusting, screwing down changing tables and worrying like mad.

I feel a bit like Robert Redford in "The Candidate." We've won the campaign. The confetti is raining down. We're hooting. We're hollering. We pause and ask, "What do we do now?"

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such wonderful news!!!! Nursing and an arrival date at home!! Very happy for your family!!!! Please add me to the list of babysitters!!

XO

Anonymous said...

Dear Maureen and Joel,

Baby Hope is precious. She is so tiny and so beautiful (just love her little nose and the red hair). Your Uncle Alan and I are praying for you guys every night. Each day is a victory. God does answer prayer. He has a great purpose for this little girl and for the both of you. He entrusted Hope's life in your care. I pray that He will give you the wisdom and strength that you both need to care for your little girl. Invite God into Hope's life. He promises to comfort. I pray the following scriptures will bring you peace. My prayer warriors around the country will keep all of you in their prayers. So will we. Enjoy the journey.
Love,
Patti and Alan Herold

Matthew 11: 28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Psalm 91:14 "Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. 15 He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. 16 With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."

Psalm 145: 18 The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. 19 He fulfills the desires of those who fear him; he hears their cry and saves them.

Debbie said...

Wow, Wow, Wow!!!!!!
Words cannot begin to say how happy I am to read of Hope's homecoming. Now that your initial wish of "We just want to bring her home" is about to become a reality, you will have room for more wishes for her and your wonderful adventure to come. I am so happy for all of you. SO. FREAKING. HAPPY.! Looking forward to a visit in the next week or two and seeing that precious baby in person.
Much love today, and always,
Deb

Lisa said...

We are so excited for you guys. Nursing and heading home all in the same week. That's pretty amazing. How much does Hope weigh now? She's a smart one, so I wouldn't be surprised if she starts to lean toward nursing rather than the bottle.
Can't wait to see TONS of pics. of the homecoming.
Oh, I've shown Liz, Hope's picture and she says: "She's soo cute and nice."
Couldn't have said it better ourselves.

Lisa, Brian and Liz.

Anonymous said...

So fantastic! Enjoy your bonding & nursing with Hope - there's nothing like it. That's great news as well taking Hope home tomorrow. You guys will do a FANTASTIC job! Can't wait to arrange playdates.

Love,
Elena & Charlie

Anonymous said...

Hope -

Hooray for boobies!

Your friend -

Lanagan Jack

Anonymous said...

In life, we measure memories by moments, not days. Tomorrow is yours. Now seize the moment! May it be filled with much love and every happiness as you bring Hope home!

Grandpa & Grandma F. xoxo

Pam said...

can you hear that?? It's me and Lar whoooooopwhoooooping all the way from Singapore! I'm with Deb. Just WOW. So excited! let the fun begin! Welcome home Hope!
Love,
Pam & Lar
xoxoxo!!
give LuLu a smooch for us too!

Brooklyn Salt said...

Reading that Hope will be coming home on Friday, which is the best news I've heard all year. I hope you and Mo are well rested.

I really hope she's not like you in college. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Joel & Maureen

Now comes the fun stuff!!! This is exceptional news. Congratulations and please call Jody anytime for advice, because if she drinks like you and takes any advice from me, Hope is in for BIG trouble!!!

Can't wait to see you guys!!
Eric, Jody, Jack & Meredith!!!

Bonnie said...

Maureen and Joel,
I'm so happy that you are going to bring your precious little girl home. Just remember hold her as much and as long as you like because she will only be little for a short time.
love and prayers,
Bonnie